Get Crafty this December with Glass-Stone Art!
Craftmas-time is in full-swing at Hinkler this week and we’ve been collating heaps of fun crafts to bring some creativity to your December. Today we made some festive ornaments using a fun plant-tastic print and our Glass Stone Art kit. You could even reuse some leftover wrapping paper with a fun print to make a personalized, up-cycled festive ornament!
Glass-stone art is a versatile craft that can showcase a staggering range of art styles and is a great base for a large array of craft projects. With a few simple crafting products, like decorative paper (such as wrapping paper), glue, scissors, a paintbrush and some crafting felt, you can create unique and stunning works of art that you can turn into jewellery, magnets or just leave as special ornaments.
Here are our instructions for making these festive, glass-art ornaments.
- Wipe clean the glass stone, then hold it with the flat side facing down. Move it above the paper until you find the best spot in the image to be magnified by the stone.
- Pick up the stone and apply a small dab of glue to the flat side. Using a craft or popsicle stick or paintbrush, spread the glue about, making sure to cover the flat side right to the edge. Scrape away any excess. The glue should not be too thick, just a thin film over the stone.
- Turn the stone over and gently place the flat side back on the paper. Move it around a little to squeeze out any excess glue from the stone, making sure that you finish with the stone back in the final position.
- Press down firmly on the stone for about 30 seconds to allow the glue to bond to the paper, to squeeze out any air bubbles under the stone, and to let the glue partially dry. Set the stone aside and let the glue dry completely.
- Using a sharp pair of scissors, trim close to the edge of the paper as you cut around the base of the stone.
- Paint another layer of glue on to the paper backing on the stone.
- Stick the glass stone to a thin sheet of crafting felt and press down to allow the glue to set.
- Once the glue is dry, use sharp scissors to neatly trim away the excess felt around the base of the stone. You can glue a loop of ribbon to the back of your glass stone to create a beautiful ornament to hang on your tree!
- And voila! Your beautiful ornament is now complete!
You can find all the materials you need for this ornament at your local crafting store, or you can buy Hinkler’s Create Your Own Glass Stone Art kit here.