The Project Editor will support the growth of our worlds and help lead the journey in this growth category. The role reports to the Director of Studio Services and will be responsible for the progression of an established idea from concept to realisation. Manage allocated projects from origination to completion. The aim is to ensure Retail Customers including large format retailers such as Kmart, Target, Big W in Domestic, International, North America and UK markets receive high-quality products delivered on time, within budget and meets the required quality standards. We aim for Customers to be delighted with our products, leading to consumer success and revenue growth for Hinkler.
1. THE WORLDS
- Be a dynamic content collaborator, helping to ensure the effective project management from concept through to delivery and post-sale support.
- Manage new products from concept through to execution as well as existing products and brands in a portfolio.
- Manage project status across brands and products, setting key priorities, budget tracking, schedule and cost tracking, and resource planning, commissioning the most appropriate vendors and freelancers.
- Research from an ideas and content creation perspective, conducting research and analysis based on market needs and the Hinkler strategic plan.
- Maintain market awareness by keeping up with the latest product trends and staying abreast of what our major competitors are doing in each publishing category.
- Work with Sales to understand customer needs to better inform the creation and design of the best possible products.
- Attend Project meetings to understand project status in accordance with key milestones, as well as any current issues that require problem resolution.
- Drive Data Integrity of project portfolio via careful inputs and checks at key milestones.
2. PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Scope out new projects, provide guidance on the delivery plans and lead informed solution discussions. Analyse and highlight barriers to delivery and focus on risk and issue management, funding, change management and product readiness.
- Lead briefing, support and management of talent (i.e., authors, illustrators, freelancers, copyeditors, typesetters, vendors).
- Manage project status across your responsible brands and products in accordance with milestones. Including: setting brand priorities, budget tracking, schedule and cost tracking, and resource planning. Maintain oversight of all projects, ensuring that commitments are well planned and monitored and help to identifying risks and provide solutions to problems as appropriate.
- Facilitate project meetings and communicate action plans, reporting status internally to the Publisher and team members, updating D365 and Trello with all key project dates.
- Successful delivery all projects to ensure successful implementation in line with goals and timelines.
- Be the key person for communicating changes and updates to key stakeholders i.e., Design management, Sales, Marketing, and Production teams, at relevant milestones.
- Work with Creative Leaders to prepare materials for milestone meetings.
3. COPYRIGHT & EDITORIAL
- Editorial quality and procedures; ensuring brand quality and editorial is adhered to and maintained and that all guidelines and practices are followed.
- Copywriting for Marketing and sales support for products, website, and social media channels.
- Create flat plan, review, edit (structural and copyedit) and style manuscripts, proofread page proofs and art to ensure that the project meets Hinkler’s editorial standards.
- Continually review processes (for reprints and fast-tracks) to ensure that best practice systems are in place and that all documentation is kept up to date.
- Undertake conversion between US and UK and Australian English as required.
- Establish budget and manage project costs, reporting on anomalies immediately to the Publisher to help resolve.
- Ensure all vendor and freelance charges are monitored to assess the actual costs vs budgets.
- Ensure that all invoices are checked, signed off by Publisher and passed for payment promptly to finance.
5. RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Excel in developing the relationships with all internal teams and be relevant in promoting a collaborative team approach.
- Maintain strong external relationships with Authors, Freelancers, Illustration Houses, Copyeditors, Typesetters, Pre-Press, Editors, Creative Directors, Digital Asset Management service providers.
- Understanding key levers for influencing decisions and building trust and credibility with all business groups with a strong collaboration with the Sales and Production teams.
6. CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
- Drive effective processes and procedures within the department and affect change where required to improve efficiency.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- A love for creative project delivery, we can teach the individual the skills, but they need to naturally have that real passion and love for products and creation and development.
- Brand or Product experience in one or more of the following industries: toys, product, books, games, consumer goods/FMCG
- A proven ability to successfully manage projects in a high-volume, fast-paced environment with a solid understanding of the endto-end life cycle of a creative project.
- Copywriting skills are essential, editorial skills are ideal however not essential
- Experience with overseas manufacturing and global operations.
- Working to influence stakeholders and optimise value
- Degree qualified in Publishing, Communications, Marketing, Design or other related qualification
- Research from a content creation perspective
- Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job well and applies this expertise accordingly. Quickly learns new technology.
- Presenting & Communicating with Impact
- Communicates for impact, clarity and connection. Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points clearly; makes effective use of processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of oneself and others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
RELATING & NETWORKING
- Create win-win partnerships with others. Relates to others in a confident and relaxed manner. Establishes good relationships with customers and employees; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humour appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
ADAPTING & RESPONDING TO CHANGE
- Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
DELIVERING RESULTS & MEETING EXPECTATIONS
- Driving improvements for business results, including personal work goals and objectives.
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
EMPATHETIC & INTEGRITY
- Humble, with a deep appreciation for others and their point of view, a respectful understanding of what others are experiencing, sensing others’ feelings and perspective and an active interest in concerns
- Build trust with others by following through on promises and commitments, confront the “truth” of a situation and act accordingly and follow rules of conduct and ethical guidelines, actively protecting proprietary information and business practices
In order to apply for this position, you must hold unrestricted rights to work in Australia. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org